Subject: Re: Upgrade & Cross-Platform
From: Angelito So <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 07:02:40 -0800

Ted Stethem wrote:
> 
>   Well, I am about to upgrade and cross-platform from Amiga to PC (still
> going to keep using the Amy tho!).
>   Don't have NT yet and it may be awhile, so while I understand this is
> the best way to go, I will be installing 4.0 under Win95.
>   I have been casually following the threads regarding some of the
> problems with installing 4.0 to the Windose environment.  However, I
> wasn't paying very close attention.  These are the things I believe have
> been discovered by previous pioneers:
> 
> 1. LW 4.0 overwrites the new Win95 AVI driver with an older version that
> don't work so good?

	Yes just copy the avi*.dll in you windows\system directory to a 
temporary place then install LW. After copy the avi*.dll from your temp 
directory back into the windows\system and the problem goes away (I forgot
to add this to the bug list).

> 2. There was a memory "leak" problem but it has been fixed as of Rev. C?

	I personally don't know what this was about I never noticed any memory 
leak could someone elaborate so I can update the bug list?

> 3. The Pennello plug-ins need their directory re-assigned after install?

	I think that this was after the patch. When the patch updates you to 
rev C , it doesn't seem to check your lwm.cfg file and erase the reference to 
where the penello plugin is so you have to do it by hand by erasing the line 
in the lwm.cfg file then going into layout and re-add the penello plugin.

> 4. Don't load the Sentinel drivers (option during install)?

	That is right, you don't need to load it under Win95

> 5. The FLI/FLC savers don't work?

	They weren't included for some reason.
	
> 6. The dongle works with a parallel switch box?

	Yes.

> 
> Was this everything or is all of the above correct?  Are there any other
> things to consider or have been discovered at this point?  Would some
> kind soul be willing to provide a concise, correct list of the
> considerations to take when installing to the Win95 environment and any
> confirmed bugs to look out for?  TIA.

check my homepage http://www.panix.com/~lito/pages/LWBugList.html

> VR
> - a relativistic photon trying to become a coherent Lightwave

-- 
*****************************************************************************
E-Mail: [email-masked]				   http://www.panix.com/~lito

		      "Thats a feature, not a bug!"
 
*****************************************************************************